DIY Travel-Inspired Invites: Holly & Sean

As a fan of Holly’s Nothing But Bonfires blog (which I discovered happily via Twitter!), it is of utmost pleasure for me to share with y’all her lovely, lovely set of DIY map/travel-inspired invitations— designed by none other than her graphic designer groom-to-be Sean, who also did their DIY map save-the-dates.

diy-invite_holly-sean-1

From Holly: They were pretty much as DIY as DIY gets. We bought square aqua pocketfolds from Paper and More and mounted the invitation on a dark gray square of card, which then sat inside the pocketfold on the left hand side.

diy-invite_holly-sean-3

On the right hand side, we had an information sheet and the RSVP card, both of which we printed on cream cardstock from Cards and Pockets, which is pretty much where we bought all the paper other than the pocketfolds.

diy-invite_holly-sean-2

Since we had gone so far with the map/world/globe theme already, we eschewed the traditional “Accepts with pleasure / Declines with regret” and instead gave people the option of ticking off “Wouldn’t miss it for the world” (get it? the world?) or “Will have to celebrate from afar.”  We also added a line for people to suggest a song they might like to dance to;

diy-invite_holly-sean-5

…We spent a long Sunday afternoon lining each of the main envelopes with vintage maps I bought on eBay.

diy-invite_holly-sean-6

To seal the back of each of the envelopes, we ordered some gorgeous—and very reasonable—stickers made from vintage maps of Asia, Europe, and California from Etsy seller Bella Mercato.

diy-invite_holly-sean-7

….and mixed and matched a bunch of vintage stamps I’d bought on ebay with some of the United States Postal Service’s more attractive modern numbers.

diy-invite_holly-sean-8

Finally, I handwrote the names and addresses on the front of each envelope (yep, we sent one to Barack and Michelle; I just know they’re totally going to show):

diy-invite_holly-sean-9

LOVE it!  Thanks so much Holly for sharing them with us.  And all my best wishes for the big day!

{ all images from Nothing But Bonfires }

1 duet letterpress { 08.20.09 at 4:22 pm }

oh, i love these! such wonderful details!

2 Melissa C { 08.20.09 at 5:12 pm }

I Love the script font!! What is the name of it, and where on earth do I get it?!?!?

3 Petra- Designfragment { 08.20.09 at 5:47 pm }

These are truly gorgeous!

4 Amanda { 08.20.09 at 8:33 pm }

Oooh! I absolutely love these!! What a wonderfully creative invitation!

If you don’t mind sharing, I have two questions…
1. What fonts did you use? That script is gorgeous! (I’m a bit of a font collector and I am always looking for pretty fonts.) And I guess if you didn’t print them yourself, where did you have them printed?
-and-
2. How did you cut out the top of the left-side invitation card?

Fabulous ideas, I’m sure your big day will be just as amazing!

5 Paige { 08.20.09 at 9:56 pm }

Wow! I love all of the unique details – they came together beautifully!

6 nicole { 08.21.09 at 12:10 am }

This is SOOOOOO gorgeous … I am so in love because I am such a traveler and such a DiYer
LOVE IT!

7 Elisheva Basseri { 08.21.09 at 2:25 am }

So gorgeous!!!! I have some clients that would love this…Ditto on both of Amanda’s questions, please share!

Elisheva

8 Angie { 08.21.09 at 7:50 am }

Wow, are these ever gorgeous! What a perfect invitation for a wedding themed around travel. Love them!!

9 LeeAnn { 08.21.09 at 9:24 am }

Wow! Wow! Wow!

Amazing font! Please share!

xx

10 Some people are so clever « Flooding Susie’s Inbox { 08.21.09 at 9:59 am }

[…] people are so clever Filed under: Design, Weddings — sashyjane @ 9:58 am These might be my most favorite wedding invitations ever!! I’m pretty conservative when it comes to […]

11 Melissa { 08.21.09 at 12:39 pm }

Gorgeous!! So creative and distinct…congratulations and best of luck!

12 CostumeDiva { 08.21.09 at 9:39 pm }

We TOTALLY invited the Obama’s too!

13 jan { 08.22.09 at 2:45 pm }

these are fabulous ideas!

14 michelle { 08.24.09 at 4:20 am }

these are SO perfect.

15 Julie { 08.24.09 at 1:16 pm }

I believe the font is Feel Script which can be purchased at the following link: http://www.veer.com/products/typedetail.aspx?image=UMT0000300

I used this font for my wedding invitations and it was funny how many people commented on it. Although this is just a guess as many fonts are VERY similar.

16 Stephanie { 08.25.09 at 4:56 pm }

Absolutely beautiful! I adore the little details!!

17 Dana Cordova { 08.27.09 at 7:54 pm }

This is great and amazingly executed idea!!!! I LOVE it.

18 Nothing But Bonfires { 08.29.09 at 1:47 pm }

Thanks so much, everyone! These were a blast to make, and we’re so thrilled by all your lovely comments.

Julie is right — the font is Feel Script.

Thanks again!

19 Jessica { 09.02.09 at 12:19 am }

This is awesome! I’d like to have a some-what travel themed wedding and this is a perfect way to remain elegant and not get too ‘commercial’

20 AuntieMameJr { 10.05.09 at 8:07 pm }

Wow! I absolutely love how your invitations turned out! I have been thinking about doing something similar, at least with the envelope liners. How did you get them all cut so precisely? Did you use a template, or did you dissect an envelope to make your own? Really, props to you for such a lovely idea and result!!

21 Nastassja { 11.24.09 at 10:44 am }

The doily in the rsvp is absolutely adorable and has inspired me to use doilies for my wedding (The envelopes, the place cards..). It’s super cute!

22 Scott { 12.14.09 at 4:34 pm }

Great Design! What was the font used? I’ve never seen that one!

23 Jessica { 01.11.10 at 12:01 pm }

What font was used to compliment Feel Script? Thanks!

24 Tasha { 08.23.10 at 3:01 am }

I love this for a destination wedding! I did a less formal but similar invite – they looked like passports – for a safari-themed baby shower and they were a huge hit! They’re here:

25 Viajes y más viajes « El sofá amarillo { 07.09.11 at 1:08 pm }

[…] iDIY […]

26 More Vintage Travel « VintageFeel { 07.11.11 at 6:01 am }

[…] These travel inspired invitations also come courtesy of I Do It Yourself. Vintage Travel Invitations […]

27 Marina { 07.22.11 at 9:34 am }

Amazing! You’ve done a great job here!!! And so beautiful!!!

28 Mrs R { 10.12.11 at 12:42 pm }

Please, please tell me how you carried through your map theme at your wedding! I want to do a map theme but keep feminine touches too. Love your work!

29 Design Inspiration: Classically Contemporary | Sterling Social Blog { 11.17.11 at 11:09 am }

[…] row from left:  Charger from CPR, Invitation from I Do It Yourself, Fabric from BBJ Linen, Interior from Reason to Breathe, Bridesmaid dress from Amsale, Places […]

30 DIY Envelope Liners « Save the Date Products & Wedding Planning Resources for Every Bride { 01.10.12 at 7:01 am }

[…] via iDIY […]

31 oh the places you’ll go « { 01.10.12 at 11:02 am }

[…] Map Envelope Liners,  iDiY […]

32 Travel Themed Wedding Ideas | Simply Peachy Wedding Blog { 11.28.12 at 5:02 pm }

[…] to right: Nothing But Bonfires via I Do It Yourself / Growing Home / Stationery Design Studio / Nicole Parker King via Oh So Beautiful Paper / Jolie […]

33 Brie @ Entrée the Giant { 01.26.13 at 8:42 am }

How cute and creative! I just loved looking at each element of these DIY invitations – you inspired me to buy pocketfolds for my own wedding invites (big day’s in August!)

Quick question though – what type of marker did you use to write the address on the envelopes? Mine are dark green, so I’ll need something that will “pop” like that – thanks :)

34 Imprezy tematyczne | Poradnik { 03.22.13 at 10:26 am }

[…]  fot. i-do-it-yourself […]

35 Travel Wedding Inspiration | Love & Lavender { 03.15.14 at 1:50 pm }

[…] 5. Maps. Clip up some maps for a unique photobooth backdrop via Green Wedding Shoes or use them to line your shoes via Caroline Tran. Pin guests’ seating assignments to a map via Style Me Pretty or use the maps as envelope liners, via iDiY […]

36 Wedding Wednesday – Nautical! | Goodnight Boutique { 06.11.14 at 1:01 pm }

[…] Fish Table Decorations – Debenhams Bridesmaid Dresses – Modcloth Seashell Cupcakes Travel Inspired Invites Globe […]

37 Travel Inspired Invite | Heather Carson { 02.17.15 at 9:43 pm }

[…] think this wedding invitation is so beautiful.  What a great idea for a going away party invite or moving announcement too- […]

38 Rose { 06.13.15 at 6:07 am }

I simply want to tell you that I’m begeinnr to blogging and site-building and truly liked your web-site. Almost certainly I’m going to bookmark your site . You absolutely come with superb writings. Thank you for sharing your blog.

39 DIY Travel-Inspired Invites: Holly & Sean  | The Art of Living { 09.03.15 at 2:16 pm }

[…] Source: DIY Travel-Inspired Invites: Holly & Sean | ‘i do’-it-yourself® […]

40 http://mmeade.net/carinsurancecheapflorida.html { 09.08.15 at 1:02 pm }

I’ve been looking for a post like this forever (and a day)

41 http://chemtreatebel.com/nc_car_insurance.html { 09.08.15 at 1:11 pm }

That’s a sharp way of thinking about it.