DIY Stitched Invitations: Nicole & Tyler

You might remember her from her fab tute on DIY flower cones. Well, the ever talented Nicole at lillyella is back and I’m so thrilled to have her share with us her DIY wedding invites.  That’s right.  She’s getting married– this Saturday! Hooray!

lilly-ella-2

From Nicole: I knew I wanted to go with a long skinny format (to mail in a #10 business envelope), so that was my starting point. Next I worked on the wording, which may have been the hardest part of all. I wanted to keep it casual and light hearted, but still appropriate and sweet.

lilly-ella-1

My favorite part:

lilly-ella-7

Yard games, merriment, dinner, dancing, sinatra and an overabundance of cake to follow.”

I next focused on the physical format of the piece and, initially, all I knew was that I wanted to somehow stitch the invitations together!  I decided on a little ‘booklet’. The back piece was a heavier weight paper with a little ‘tab’ that wrapped around the front over a lighter weight top sheet. We stitched them together on the sewing machine.

lilly-ella-3

And actually, when I say ‘we’, I mean Tyler – he stitched them all! Ain’t he great :-)

The invites were printed digitally at a company I used to work for. Digital printing is a good, affordable option for printing in full color. The quality is not as good as when you print on an offset printing press, but the cost is about 1/8 or so in comparison, especially when you only need a small quantity of something.

lilly-ella-6

For the RSVP, I created a small card which included an email address and phone number for responding. Since things are on the casual side, I thought this was an appropriate option. It also saves money on an rsvp envelope and postage, and also saves time.

lilly-ella-4

I designed a wrap around label for the mailing envelope and printed them on my inkjet printer. The return address is on the same label and wraps to the opposite side of the envelope. I found it to be an easy way to print the labels and I really love the look of it.

lilly-ella-5

Thanks Nicole for sharing such lovelies with us and all my best wishes for the Big Day! xo

1 alexandra keller { 09.10.09 at 1:15 am }

i saw these on her blog – they are so great! and that she mailed them in standard business envelopes? the best!

2 Hannah Green { 09.10.09 at 6:53 am }

These are so stylish and lovely words- I’m going to add her blog as a favourite now to make sure I don’t miss the wedding pics! x

3 The Perfect Palettec { 09.10.09 at 8:32 am }

So creative. Great design! We’re sure our readers love this too!

4 Helen { 09.10.09 at 9:48 am }

LOVE these! Beautifully designed and so much thought put into them!

5 nicole { 09.10.09 at 10:37 am }

I love the sewing detail on this!!
And the wraparound label… clean and gorgeous!

6 Kimberly Arce { 09.10.09 at 10:42 am }

These are darling! Digital printing or not- they looks gorgeous. And what a great guy to stitch them all! lucky lucky lady :)

7 You’re invited! « { 09.11.09 at 1:37 pm }

[…] for my DIY ladies, check these little pretties out. Posted on iDIY Possibly related posts: (automatically generated)Have a great weekend!Penned & PrettyHappy […]

8 Gabriela { 09.14.09 at 5:32 pm }

The designs are very cool..what a fantastic idea!! I love the cards :)

9 Abby { 09.16.09 at 2:29 pm }

Oh my goodness, these are beautiful! I love the stitching, the colors, the wording, everything!

10 Sarah { 09.21.09 at 10:33 pm }

These invitations are absolutely stunning! What gorgeous stitching and colors! LOVE them!

11 Charmaine { 09.26.09 at 10:46 am }

These are fantastically creative. I would love to steal this idea for invites in the future!

Charmaine

12 Becky { 09.10.10 at 2:00 pm }

LOVE ! LOVE ! LOVE ! LOVE THeSE! This is perfect! Thank you!

13 Rattanasiri Scherrey { 12.03.10 at 6:32 am }

Hi there
First of all..i love your blog ! so fun and useful :) i would like to ask if you can share instrustions on how to create the beutiful wrap around labels for envelopes.I got tons of nice digital papers and clip arts but just don’t know how to start or which software should i use..Christmas is coming i just thought might be good idea to mkae some to send cards to family and friends :) I will wait whenever you have time to share some tips for me.Thank you and really look forward to hear from you…take good care

14 The Invites… | lillyella { 02.16.15 at 11:46 pm }

[…] for something other than standard white. So what do you think?! (A big thanks to Luzel over at ‘I Do’-it-yourself weddings for sharing my invites! It’s one of my favorite blogs and an amazing source for the best […]

15 Vadestino { 10.13.15 at 11:10 pm }

Thank you for catching this moenmt! Although Jude was being almost overly affectionate- if that’s even possible!- your shot shows all the love we have doe each other. Love it!