Ice Box Cakes!

ice box cakes 2

I just love cake recipes where you never have to turn the oven on.  Smitten Kitchen’s chocolate icebox cake caught my eye while Flickr-ing one night. No-bake and with only a few required ingredients (store-bought cookies, whipped cream and chocolate shavings), this is perfect for noobs like me. I’m gonna have to try the mini-version soon.

And you my dears, do you also see ice box cakes in your future? 😛

{ image credits, including
alternate recipe versions from: 1. Food & Wine2. Oprah, and 3. Martha }

1 Carla { 11.06.09 at 5:28 pm }

Wow, that look soooo good! I wonder if I could do a raw/vegan version of one!

2 Shayna { 11.06.09 at 6:02 pm }

My mom always used to make ice box cake as a kid. Three ingredients, super easy. Get a rectangular cake pan, layer graham crackers then chocolate pudding a bunch of times. On the top layer of graham crackers, cover the whole thing in cool whip. YUM. Now I want to go make some…

3 anh { 11.06.09 at 8:15 pm }

looks sooo delish!

4 Deb D { 11.07.09 at 5:09 am }

Oooh…I love these!!! In Australia we call them Chocolate Ripple Cakes because the recipe can often be found on the back of chocolate ripple biscuit/cookie packages. They’re really popular over here and I’ve seen lots of different versions, including one with crushed peppermint bits mixed in with the chocolate on the outside.

5 Emily { 11.07.09 at 9:40 pm }

We’ve been making an ice box cake like the one featured in Martha Stewart for years! The recipe is right on the box and it’s super easy! I like it so much we even had it as our wedding cake. :-)

6 RobbieLee at Chickiedee { 11.09.09 at 4:32 pm }

These are fabulous! I’ve always wanted to make one of these but never have… thanks for the kick in the keester!

7 Miss T { 11.12.09 at 2:00 am }

Oh YUM! We are having a heat wave here right now, this will be perfect to make on the weekend. Was dreading turning the oven on. Thanks