DIY Aqua Mason Jars

aqua mason jars theinspiredroom

Love those ol’ blue mason jars but feel like skipping the flea markets or the steep shipping costs from eBay or Etsy? Well hear ye, hear ye!  Did you know that you can mimic the aqua/turquoise look on clear jars with the help of some transparent glass paint? I know, right! Check out this DIY how-to guide from the Bridal Buzz.  And the bottomline? About $1.50 ea. for a case of 12 jars. Sweet, ain’t it?

{via The Inspired Room; photo from Nest of Posies }

1 GoodDay { 05.03.10 at 9:21 pm }

clever! I have a real affinity for old glass jars and bottles and will definitely give this a try!

2 ComradeAde { 05.04.10 at 1:20 am }

This is so cool! I have 12 Mason Ball jars out in my garage I’m going to be painting. Thank you, thank you, thank you. (I’ll try to send pics when I’m finished!)

3 Kristin @ Bridal Buzz { 05.04.10 at 12:33 pm }

Thanks for mentioning my tutorial! Enjoy!

4 lou { 05.05.10 at 1:02 pm }

that is one great idea. i love the mason jars but the shipping costs to europe are insane.so i guess i will just use a german jar and color it. other colors will look fabulous as well. pink? yellow? yaay! thank you for sharing.

5 Suzanne { 05.05.10 at 4:19 pm }

I had no idea! What an excellent tip! I’m obsessed with blue jars, thank you so much for sharing :)

6 Laura { 05.06.10 at 11:53 am }

love love love your blog!!!it’s great!!

7 Caroline @ youngDCliving { 05.29.10 at 3:00 am }

It never occurred to me that you could do this with basic glass jars! These look so great…wonderful DIY idea and post!

8 Deborah & the gang { 06.19.10 at 4:02 pm }

Did you know…zinc spray paint for standard lids and you can skip looking for those vintage lids, too!!

9 DIY Aqua Mason Jars « collective incident { 08.03.10 at 5:04 pm }

[...] {via The Inspired Room} Via DIY Aqua Mason Jars. [...]

10 Mason Jars for your Wedding > BustMyBudget.com { 01.05.11 at 8:02 am }

[...] doing is using mason jars as centerpieces, or for just overall decoration at the wedding. Over at iDIY, they have a fun post on Aqua Mason Jars, and how to achieve this desired [...]

11 gertie { 01.28.11 at 8:16 pm }

I love my blue jars and do have some for sale on Etsy at http://www.etsy.com/shop/CherishedHearts , but want to try using the glaze with some old plain clear glass jars, to get a variety of colors. Hoping that by doing one color at a time, I can create a layered effect, thinking yellows and pinks for spring.

12 Craftiness Now { 03.17.11 at 5:01 pm }

wow, so cool, i’ve been on the hunt for these and didn’t know you could do it yourself!

13 Bridal DIY Resources « Miss Alyss – A Beauty, Wedding, and DIY Blog { 04.25.11 at 7:53 am }

[...] Plan on making your own centerpieces? Looking for hard-to-find blue mason jars for that vintage classic look? Learn how to make your own here. [...]

14 Multigeneration Chair { 05.03.11 at 4:58 pm }

I love these jars, they are gorgeous. Classic and creative. Thanks for sharing.

15 Mason Jar | Twig Home { 05.25.11 at 4:16 pm }

[...] iDIY [...]

16 Bayside Vintage » Blog Archive » Busy bee { 10.21.11 at 8:28 pm }

[...] Aqua Mason Ball jars!  Image credit [...]

17 Mason Jar Magic | The Row House Nest { 10.25.11 at 11:31 pm }

[...] A little blue mason jar envy. No big deal. Spotted here. [...]

18 Rena { 10.31.11 at 10:55 am }

Got a pretty blue mason jars in there. Like it. Got also visit this site where also introducing Blue Mason Jars.http://bluemasonjars.com

Cheers to that. =)

19 c a i l .eala { 10.26.12 at 8:06 am }

[...] sind auch die süßen blauen Gläser. Und nicht zu vergessen diese tollen Ideen für eine Eulenparty (Ich mag besonders die Papiertüten [...]

20 Ideas verdes: reutilizar con estilo { 11.28.12 at 1:07 pm }

[...] http://www.i-do-it-yourself.com/2010/05/diy-aqua-mason-jars/ consejosconsejos de ecologíaideas verdes [...]

21 Mari { 05.02.13 at 2:55 am }

I was wondering if after painting the jars can they still b used for canning?

22 jb { 06.12.13 at 4:11 pm }

Clear Elmers glue and any color food coloring works great on mason jars.

23 A Midwestern Belle { 09.01.14 at 4:05 pm }

[...] the lovely picture from iDiY that sparked my grand wedding plan and a snapshot of the beautiful blue jars I found in [...]